Seconds Secure St Cross Success

Alton 2nd XI worked hard for their victory in every sense on Saturday, battling the elements before the game before putting in a good all round display to win by 106 runs.

Fantastic work to cover the pitch by club members on Friday ensured there was at least a hope of playing despite the early Saturday thunderstorms.

When the rain abated, the players and supporters helped clear the standing water and mop up the square in time for a 2pm start and a 46 over game.

Alton were asked to bat first on what was a good pitch considering the weather, as Andy Postles (23) and Howard Gadsby (39) raced to a half-century opening stand.

The home side then lost wickets regularly as they fell to 96-3.

Alton’s 1st XI game away at Ventnor was called off early in the day, so the seconds were strengthened with Scott Myers contributing a rapid 35 before falling to a sharp caught and bowled from young spinner Thomas Fay.

Dewayne Bowden also fell cheaply, but in form pair Mark Heffernan (56*) and Dave Evans (28*) again batted in fine, sensible fashion to get Alton up to a competitive 224 with an unbeaten stand of 80.

Bowden struck early with the ball, and Ian Carpenter took a sharp return chance to leave St Cross on 32-2.

Fergus Haycock (32) looked positive but attempted a suicidal second to the throw of Lee Partner, and Andy Pearce (1-13) struck as wickets fell regularly.

Bowden (4-6) returned to blow away the middle order and all but secure the game for Alton, which allowed Lee Partner (2-30) and Tom Paul (1-29) to bowl some valuable over in the middle.

It was another good performance from the home side, who are in the top half of SPL3 having been promoted last year, and they will look forward to a tough test away to Waterlooville on Saturday.

3rd XI claim big win

When the Alton players arrived at 10:30 to find their pitch underwater they thought once again another day would fall victim to the weather. But with a lot of hard work, two teams with a positive approach and willing umpires the match finally started at 2:45pm.

Having won the toss the Alton captain asked Andover III to bat first. With some good early bowling particularly from Adrian Trim, supported by Martin Ball (3 for 46) and Dax Artley (3 for 21) adding to some excellent wicketkeeping by Brian Gillingham, Andover were bowled out for 143.

In reply Andover struct early having Alton 12 for 1, but that was their final success as Alton captain Lawrence Hughes (64 not out) and (Ian Mason 54 not out) guided Alton home to their first win of the season.

Foulkes to the Fore

James Foulkes scored a superb 58 help the 4th XI to a thumping 9 wicket win over Greyswood.

Alton bowled the home side out for 117, and Foulkes made short work of the target as Alton polished off the total for the loss of just one wicket.